Thursday, November 19, 2009

Don't you just love it when a poem or story can really move you?

On another post I will have to share my experience at the CT Down Syndrome Congress convention. But for now I want to mention that I won the door raffle and picked up several books that I am very excited about. One was "My Sister, Alicia May." For a long time, in the back of my head, I have been wanting to get a sibling with Down syndrome book for Nathaniel, but never got around to it. This book was so good it moved me to tears. Not only is the little darling girl, Alicia May, a spirited strawberry blonde like Penny, but Alicia May also had heart surgery when she was born just like Penny. I just loved the story and Nathaniel loved it too. Thank you Nancy for donating your book of poems, the book "My Sister Alicia May" and the permision to post your poem and for donating your book. I would have missed out for sure on this great read!!!

You can click on Nancy Tupper Ling's name below to link over to her website, or click on the title to link to the poem itself. I highly recommend you check it out!

Our Fragile Emissary
By: Nancy Tupper Ling

With modern screening and such
they wonder why
you're here, on this earth
in our home
and in our arms,
after all, anyone
with any sense would have resolved
this problem of you
pre-birth, pre pain.

Blonde Beauty,
tiny as you are,
you catch their stares,
strangers' second glances
into tender baby blues.
And your young
sweet ears hear whisperings
("Down's," "defects")
words dropped loosely
at extra-chromosomed girls.

With such stinging receptions
how we long to shelter you,
surround you; keep your
gentle smiles to ourselves.
Instead, we hold you
up, for others to see;
let you, our fragile emissary
speak to an imperfect world.

3 comments:

Sara P said...

that is beautiful.

Joanie said...

A lovely poem, just like your Penny!

Did I tell you that I have a secret boyfriend? His name is Hunter and he comes into Fridays with his Mom. He has Downs and he has stolen my heart.

Mama Mason-Mann said...

very sweet.